After your wisdom teeth extraction surgery at East Texas Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery, it is crucial to follow these post-operative instructions for a smooth recovery:
- Rest and Recovery: Take it easy for the first 24 to 48 hours after surgery. Avoid physical activities and rest as much as possible to allow your body to heal.
- Oral Hygiene: Starting the day after surgery, gently brush your teeth, excluding the surgical sites. Use a soft-bristled toothbrush and rinse your mouth with warm saltwater (half teaspoon of salt in an 8-ounce glass of water) several times a day to keep the area clean.
- Bleeding: Some bleeding is normal after surgery. Bite down on a gauze pad placed over the extraction site for 30 minutes to help control bleeding. Change the gauze as needed and avoid spitting, rinsing forcefully, or using a straw, as these actions can disrupt the blood clot. If the bleeding is persistent, bite down on a damp black tea bag for 30 minutes at a time.
- Pain Management: Take any prescribed pain medications as directed by your surgeon. Over-the-counter pain relievers, such as ibuprofen, can also be used as recommended. Apply an ice pack to the outside of your face near the surgical area for the first 24 hours to reduce swelling and discomfort.
- Diet: Stick to a soft food diet for the first few days after surgery. Avoid hot, spicy, or hard foods that may irritate the surgical sites. Drink plenty of fluids, but avoid using a straw.
- Swelling: Some swelling and bruising is normal after surgery. Apply an ice pack to the outside of your face for the first 24 hours to help minimize swelling. Afterward, you can use a warm compress to alleviate any residual swelling or discomfort.
- Medications: Take any prescribed medications, such as antibiotics or mouth rinses, as instructed by your surgeon. Follow the dosage and frequency guidelines carefully.
- Contact Us: If you experience excessive bleeding, severe pain, prolonged swelling, or have any concerns during your recovery, do not hesitate to contact our office for guidance and support.
By following these post-operative instructions, you can promote a smooth and comfortable recovery after your wisdom teeth extraction. If you have any questions or concerns during your recovery period, our experienced team is here to provide assistance and support.